Monday, November 12, 2012

Quick Review: The Night Circus -"Wonderfully Weird"

 
 
Audible.com allows us to rate the books after we've listened to them, so figured I may as well post my review to Book of Hours too:
 
The Night Circus by 
 
 
Audible: Would you listen to The Night Circus again? Why?

Me: I don't normally listen to books twice. However, I did so love the odd rhythm of this novel, that if I were to revisit books, I would put "The Night Circus" on my re-listen list.

Audible: What was one of the most memorable moments of "The Night Circus"?
 
Me: All the scenes involving Celia and Prospero (her father) are engrossing. Their love/hate relationship holds many facets. The reader is always aware the stakes of  "the game" are much higher than either Celia or Marco are aware and it's made doubly wicked by the fact that Perspero is so willing to possibly sacrifice his only daughter.

Audible: Rate narrator Jim Dale's performance

Me: A+

Audible:Was this a book you wanted to listen to all in one sitting?

Me: No. It's engrossing, but does not have a traditional narrative, you tend to want to enjoy it in smaller sessions.

Audible: Any additional comments?

Me: This book may as well have been written as a screenplay first. It's so easy to imagine it as a film. The colorful characters and the black and white set. I can't wait to see all the clever CGI they'll use to create the magical illusions of Le Cirque des Reves. And also the spectacle of red scarfs and roses against a backdrop of en noir et blanc.

No comments:

Post a Comment